Saturday, December 15, 2012

East to West

Sin... It's one of the words I think we all kind of see all the time and aren't sure how to respond to it. I was raised in a Catholic Church and I feel as though sin was the thing that was talked about the most at church. Every week, go tell this priest what you did wrong, repent and pray these two prayers nine times and you will be forgiven. Repeat next week.

I'm not doggin the Catholic Church, just the repetitive traditional ceremony that required me to go through all of these things that didn't seem to bring me closer to God, but only seemed to push me away. I just always felt that God had this HUGE expectation of me and there was NO WAY I could live up to that. No matter how hard I tried, God would always be there waiting for me to screw up. Anyone else ever feel that way?

The TRUTH, fortunately, is that nothing could be more wrong. Now, let me make a point quickly. God does expect us to be "good" in a sense and avoid sin, but he knows we are fleshy creatures drawn to sin. Isaiah 55:8-9 says:

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.


Now, that simply means that we will never be able to achieve at His level. Remember that this is a God that believes that hatred is on the same level as murder (1 John 3:15). So, that is a good thing. We will always make mistakes, we will always sin, and God realizes this. Heck, he even told us:

Romans 3:23 -" for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"

That is a very good thing to know! Now, I felt like maybe my old church hit this point home without revealing to me the good news that follows. I always interpreted it as, "I've sinned. I will always sin. Good luck with that because there is no way around it and I, God, will be judging you everyday, all day, waiting for you to make another mistake!" But no! That is not the truth, folks!" God loves us! He doesn't want us to fall. He wants us to live joyfully under his umbrella of Grace! This is why he put in motion the plan of everlasting redemption through His Son Jesus! 

God wants to spend eternity with us! Not separated from us. Here is the good news!

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

1 John 4:9 - In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him.

1 Corinthains 15:3  ...Christ died for our sins...

Isn't that awesome? That God had a plan for us? That He knew we would never be perfect so He sent down for us the perfect sacrifice so that we could live in eternity with Him? I never heard any of those, or at least understood any of those, until I was almost 27 years old. When we take that step to faith in the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, our sins are removed. Forever and ever... as far as the East is from the West is what He said:

Psalm 103:12 -
 He has removed our sins as far from us
   as the east is from the west.


No sin is too big. No love is as big

No matter what anyone has told you, God is bigger. His forgiveness is bigger... His love is bigger. He wants you to be in fellowship with Him. He loves you more than you love you love yourself. He's knocking at the door. Forgive yourself of whatever you think you can never let go of and let Him forgive you. He's waiting for you... will you take that step?

Revelations 3:20 - Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

All you have to do is ask Jesus to come into your life... Pray something like this, "Jesus... I know I've sinned... I know I've made mistakes, and I'm tired of feeling separated from you. I'm asking you to come into my life today and free me from these sins. Forgive me, Lord. I believe that Jesus died for me on that cross and took away my sins so I could live with You eternally. Right now, I confess Jesus as my Lord and savior with my whole heart. Continue to transform me so that I can better know You. Thank you Lord, Amen."

I'd love to know if you prayed that prayer. Let me help guide you to some next steps in growing your faith. 

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment