Sunday, January 13, 2013

Eternity

So, as I was brainstorming a few of my favorite promises that God delivers to us through His word, I figured it would be best to start with the promise that is the most important. That is the promise of eternal life in heaven with Him. Salvation through Jesus Christ.

The concept of eternity is quite difficult for us as mere mortal beings to understand. Eternity is Forever. Like, Forever, ever. If you are sitting here reading this thinking, "man, I am getting old." Our lives on this earth pass by in a blink of an eye. Anyone with children reading this know that by simply watching them grow up. It all happens so fast. I remember thinking I don't feel like I have aged that much, but I look up and realize how long has passed since each of my children were born. It doesn't make sense to me! I can't be that old, right? Scripture itself describes our life here on earth as a vapor or mist, James 4:14 states "For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away." You ever wake up and look outside and see some fog floating over the field or the yard? What happens to that mist? It floats there for a little while and then vanishes. That is our mortal life in the context of eternity.

That might sound kind of depressing if you didn't have an outlook on life that transcended our own mortal life. We all have the choice of eternal life. All of us do. Yes... All of us. God created us all the same. He didn't create some to have eternal life and some to come and go with life that is only here. In Acts 10:34, Peter says, "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality." This, in my limited knowledge, means that God doesn't create anyone with any favoritism. He doesn't create one person to rebel against Him, and another to love Him. He doesn't create one person to live a long and fruitful life and another to be ill and challenged. We are all created equal.

He's the catch. When I say we all have eternal life, it doesn't mean we all have eternal life in heaven. God's greatest gift to us is His Son, Jesus. Through Him we are saved and gain that amazing promise of eternal life with Him. John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  So, that means we all have the opportunity to make this choice. When you make the choice to believe, it is yours. . Ephesians 2:8 - "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God."  It is a gift that has been given to us. John 10:28 says, And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. That means we will never die. Our soul will live on forever and ever with Him, in His kingdom, in His presence. 

It's quite the promise isn't it? It's amazing to know that our lives are more than just a blink, more than a vapor that passes in the morning. That we actually have more to look forward to than the heartbreak, and pain that we face here on earth. 2 Peter 1:4 states by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world.

There is only one way to know, for sure, that you are headed there. And that is by accepting Him as your personal savior. If you are curious how to do that, check out one of my previous posts HERE. And like always, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. 

God Bless!




1 comment:

  1. Feels like a mist to me too ... except when going through something awful..

    ReplyDelete